Thursday, September 10, 2009

Pookie and I'm chatty

Well today is my pookie bears 15 birthday and I can’t let this day go by without sharing a couple of my favourite pictures of her. As you can tell she likes being in blankets LOL


I feel quite chatty today and I’ve come across a news article that has kind of pissed me off. Let me explain, everyone in the world probably knows that Vancouver/Whistler will be hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics in February 2010. Well on October 30 the torch will start its Canadian journey, it will go through every since province and territory before winding up in Vancouver on February 12, 2010; One of the sponsors RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) did a bit of a contest for schools in the country to be apart of the relay, the contest was about having the best green plan for the future but I’m not exactly sure.

Anyway, the winners of this contest were released today and that is why I’m pissed off. Now I understand that probably not every school in the country participated but since the torch will be going through every P&T the least the sponsors could do is make sure a school from each P&T is represented. In my opinion they should have taken all of the entries and divided them up by P&T and then picked a winner from each. There are 16 spots there is room for all P&T to get involved and then with the remaining 3 spots one extra should have come from Ontario more specifically Ottawa since they are the capital city of the country and then the remaining 2 should have come from Vancouver/Whistler/Victoria area since we are hosting the Olympics. But no the sponsors (who by the way have head offices in Ontario) have done the following

2 from BC
1 from Newfoundland
1 from New Brunswick
2 from Quebec
1 from Saskatchewan
2 from Alberta
7 from Ontario

None from Manitoba, Prince Edwards Island, Nova Scotia, Yukon, Northwest Territory or Nunavut.

Maybe my feels are this way because I live in the west of the country and I’m basically forgotten and/or over shadowed by Ontario but I think this set up is disrespectful to BC, and the P&T that were forgotten and I’m appalled that Ontario gets 7 spots MORE THAN THE HOST CITY. I am sick and tired of the world and our own government thinking the sun shines out of Toronto or Ontario’s asses and that what happens in Toronto is the gospel and the barometer of the country. There are 10 provinces and 3 territories that make up this country and we deserve just as much respect as Ontario does. This is suppose to be Vancouver/Whistler’s Olympics so it should be all about Vancouver/Whistler with just a smidge about Canada as a country….….okay I’m off my soap box now thanks for listening.

PS I don’t remember hearing about any of this bureaucratic bull shit when Calgary hosted the Olympics maybe I was too young to realize it was happening.

No comments: