Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Olympic Adventure



First off the Olympic Cauldron, I think this is a great picture if I do say so myself. There has been a lot of controversy over the cauldron being behind a metal fence, but I don't have a problem with that, think of the graffiti that someone could have put on it by now if there wasn't a fence in the way, as well the cauldron is made of glass and I can see some juvenile trying to climb on it and hurt themselves.




This is a beautiful Native carving which is on display at one of our local hotels.




I went to the Royal Canadian Mint Pavilion where they had the Olympic metals that you could hold and get your picture taken with if you wanted to stand in line for 4 hours, which isn't something I wanted to do. So I just checked out the rest of the Pavilion with some lovely coins with beautiful etchings and colors and one of the has diamonds in the coin as well.




The coin I actually came to see was the 3 Million dollar Loonie, it is huge.




This is the line to Sochi House before it opened at noon, surprisingly it didn't take long to get inside.




The count down clock for the 2014 Winter Games.



A small replica of what the Olympic venues will look like in Sochi in 2014






Some shots of the Olympic Village. I wanted to go to the other side and take some more pictures but with me being so sick I have been staying close to the office and conserving my strength.




Native Dancers at the Four Host Nation Pavilion




More Native dancers posing for the cameras



While walking back to my office I came across this cute little display, I have no idea what the purpose is but it's cute.




And this is a Native woman wearing her button blanket outside of a carving house, I think these blankets are beautiful. As you can tell a Native theme was intertwined throughout the Vancouver Winter Olympics which I think is a beautiful touch, since there are so many Native lines in this province you can't explain British Columbia to the world without explaining about our Native heritage.

No comments: