Monday, February 8, 2010

Olympics are coming, the Olympics are coming!!!!

So Sorry for the lack of Olympic photo’s I’ve been so busy at work that I haven’t had a chance to go to the sights around my office and the ones that I have seen have been at night in a moving vehicle so they aren’t the greatest and now this morning it was cloudy and foggy so some of the pictures I wanted to get weren't very good so I thought I’ll would hold off for a day or two and see if it gets better.

I have run across a couple athletes on my journey to work though. On Friday night there were a couple Finnish athletes on the train going home, they looked about 17 so I’m thinking they were figure skaters, off the top of my head I can’t think of what other sport would have such young athletes. I had heard earlier in the week that some athletes were staying in the Valley till closer to the opening but I was still surprised to see them and then this morning I was behind a Russian athlete at Starbucks LOL I guess no matter what country you are from you got to have your Starbucks coffee in the morning.

After Lunch:

So I now have all my Olympic memorabilia - mittens, scarf and mini mascot stuffed animals and some pins. I even purchased a pair of Olympic mitts for my godson and a Canadian T-shirt for his 1st birthday which I will add to the other clothes I purchased this weekend, but I think I’m going to take the Olympic stuff over to his mommy early so he can wear the stuff now while watching some Olympic coverage with his dad or grandpa LOL

So I went out for my lunch to get some Olympic gear and left my camera at the office and then the sun come....oh crap so I didn't take any pictures of the Olympic sites, like in front of the Vancouver Art gallery they have a Canadian Bobsled …. I hope it’s still out there tomorrow. I was able to get some pictures on my blackberry at The Bay which is the official sponsor for all the clothes and merchandise but they were really crappy. All of the mascot stuff is so cute and I could really go crazy getting stuff for my godson but I know my best friend would kill me if I did. And besides the prices they are asking for some of this stuff is ridicules even if it is Olympic stuff.

So I bypassed the torch in my home town this morning, I choose to take my train to Vancouver instead of watching the torch, simply put because I didn't want to get stuck on a bus for 90 mins and be late when I could be on a comfy train arriving on time. I will be going to work early on Friday so I can witness the torch in Vancouver instead, it will arrive about 830 - 845 and my usual train doesn't get in till 900 so earlier train it is. They released the names this morning of some of the torch bearers in the next coming day: Astronaut Julie Payette will be carrying the torch on Wednesday in North Vancouver, Thursday afternoon singer Jann Arden will do her run by BC Children's Hospital as well as former Vancouver Canuck Richard Brodeur and singer Michael Buble will be sometime on Thursday as well. They haven't released the names completely for Friday actually all the torch bearers have been kept really quiet including who will be lighting the flame BUT we do know that Arnold Schwarzenegger will be carrying the torch through Stanley Park as a representative of the Special Olympics on Friday which I think is a great idea, then Sebastion Cole who is a former track star and who is also a member of the London 2012 organizing committee will carry it and then Rolly Fox father of Terry Fox will do the torch near English Bay around 8 am and Walter Gretzky will have the torch about 20 mins after him. Then around noon 3 former athletes from Vancouver will carry the torch Former Canuck Stan Smyl, Bob Lenarduzzi of the Vancouver Whitecaps (soccer team) , and Lui Passaglia of the B.C. Lions (football). So what happens after lunch until 4:00 PST when the opening ceremony's start here in Vancouver is any ones guess. There still are quite a few Canadian celebs who's names have been mentioned for the last couple months that I haven't seen yet so maybe they will be on Friday. They are Wayne Gretzky, Trevor Lindon who we in BC lovingly call him Captain Canuck, he is the former captain of the Vancouver Canuck's hockey team and an avid supporter of Canuck Place and other children's charities, Michael J. Fox I'm not sure his health is the greatest for this so maybe his kids can help him or represent him and finally Betty Fox who is the mother of Terry Fox, she has really gone out of her way to keep Terry Fox's memory alive and is quite the figure head for the Terry Fox run to raise money for Cancer Research. So anyway I guess I should just shut up and show you the pictures I have.



Here are pics of the security cruise ships the one is the day time is really bad, I was at the wrong angle on a moving train.


Here is Canada Place which is housing all the international media for their broadcasts as well as various currency kiosks.


And here is one of the Olympic volunteers who I ride the train home with, he let me take his picture with him in his gear, cover up his security pass of course. I hope to have more pics for you tomorrow.

This post wouldn't be complete without some craft pictures so here is the latest WIP of Summer Fairy Spirit, which I'm currently not speaking to LOL.



So I have moved on to Quaker Christmas and I finished page 2 last night
And finally the first picture of the canvas I'm working on called Falling Leaves by Laura J. Perin


I had to remove the bottom row of stitching because it wasn't snug like the other two but other than that I think the design is going fine.

1 comment:

Blu said...

Great pictures! Sounds like fun having so much go on around you!