Thursday, December 9, 2010

Crap, Joy and Crap again!

Well things are going bumpy right now with my current WIP Cut Thru North Pole by Bothy Designs.
 
I started using the shimmery thread that was included with this pattern to make the snow sparkle a couple days ago and the stuff is CRAP (which explains the first crap in my title), the stuff bunches in the back and is so thin you can't tell that it has broken or has gotten twisted until you flip the fabric over to finish the line which I did and there was all the thread bunched in one stitch, I was not a happy camper, so I subbed out the thread for kreinik blending filament #32 the only difference with the two thread is that the stuff that came with the design had a white sheen to it whereas BF32 is iridescent, it's really sad when BF is a happy alternative to a thread.
 
The Joy is a three fold one - I have finished the 4th floor and 3/4 of the 3rd floor on the design and it's looking great, I expect to finish santa's sled and perhaps the bay window on the 3rd floor tonight. I have finished all my christmas shopping and everything is wrapped too and I have baked shortbread cookies, peanut butter blossoms and kahlua balls my mother has helped me and made the macaroons and two flavours of chocolate bark (white chocolate/peppermint and milk chocolate/skor pieces), now all that is left is the cream cheese tarts. I have already had my office christmas luncheon which was a lot of fun, our former lawyer that is now a judge was able to join us since the trial he is preceding on is with the jury now and they were deliberating, but he had his pager with him in case they decided and he had to rush off. We go to one of the partners 'clubs' and drink and be merry for at least 3 hours so going back to work after that doesn't produce much work afterwards LOL, I'm always concerned about sending any documents out to other counsel while tipsy so I basically just try to push paper around until I can go home. I have a family party this weekend which will be fun and then a get together with my best friend, god son and their family on Monday.
 
We are going to my 2nd cousin's house this year instead of my great aunt for the family party because my great aunt has just finished cancer treatment and found out she is in remission too so even though she wanted to do it my cousin told her she needed to rest and stay healthy and since the cousin has a new house it was her turn LOL. She has made cabbage rolls, perogies, basically all the usual Ukrainian Christmas stuff. We haven't gone all crazy with the Ukrainian food at Christmas time since I was little so I'm excited that someone is doing it. I think since my Nana passed away (and it's her family tradition) no one in my immediate family wanted to take the responsibility of all that cooking so we low keyed it and only do perogies on Christmas Eve.
 
I'm really looking forward to seeing my best friend and godson on Monday too, I ran into her 2 weeks ago when they were getting their pictures done with Santa and her sister posted a picture of it on facebook and it is absolutely adorable so I'm looking forward to getting my copy for my desk at work. I was given specific instruction on what I could get D for Christmas, since they live in a basement suite their isn't a lot of room for large toys and so they usually wind up at his Nana's since she has a playroom for him and the rest of her grandchild's so I kept that in mind when I totally disregarded my best friends instructions LOL I did get him clothes like she asked but I also got him a couple toys that could easily fit in the car he can play with them while driving with either parent, they are tonka trucks that are squishy and the wheels move when you squish them. So I don't think she can get too mad at me because of the toys, besides I am single and have no nieces or nephews so who else am I suppose to spend my toy money on. I think my favourite part of the gift though is the camouflage socks I got him, it is just such a boy thing.
 
Anyway back to my post title and the final crap........like I said earlier I had finished the 4th floor, well when I had to move the hoop over to work on the sled I notice this god awful dirt ring around the entire design that was visible in the hoop, now I know I'm not a tidy stitcher since I take the picture with me on the train and I'm not in control of cleanliness of my environment, but this is just disgusting, I also did bake and stitch at the same time but I scrubbed my hands before stitching but maybe not enough and also I don't know what it is with light blue aida every time I use it I have really bad dirt marks either way it is taking all that is in me not to wash the picture tonight just to get rid of the dirt ring but since I have a ways to go to finish the design washing it now would be counter productive but it did burst my happiness bubble in what I had accomplished so far. I am going to a quilt/misc craft shop on my lunch hour for some cording, felt, velvet and some christmas fabric I think I will look for some kind of fabric to put around my hoop too, I have tried this in the past but the scrap fabric wasn't thick enough for me and got in my way, so I think I need to find some fleece type fabric and make proper strips around the areas where my hands rest and hopefully that will help keep the rest of the fabric clean.
 
Well thanks for listening

1 comment:

Rachel S said...

I hate when those mystery dirt marks get on the fabric. I don't understand where it comes from--it's not like I'm plowing a field and stitching on the tractor. I hope it comes out. Your Christmas sounds very festive. Enjoy the season.