Monday, January 21, 2013

Bumpy Start

So I have finished all the regular stitching on Cut Thru North Pole and I am currently doing the backstitching. I hope to be finished the entire design by Thursday.

Because I was so close to being finished I decided to kit up Shimmering Mermaid by Mirabilia early. Then I decided to put a couple stitches into the design to show myself where the centre of the design was so there would be no stopping me from stitching once Cut Thru was finished. Well, I am in a bit of predicament now.

The fabric I have chosen is Blueberry Delight from Silkweaver it's a cornflower blue/medium lavender fabric that I thought would make Shimmy pop. Well the centre colors going into the design are DMC 341, 340 and a third darker purple. If you are familiar with the design she has a 471 green patchwork body with purple fins flowing off of her back. I started putting in some 341 stitches and to my horror they are the exact shade of the fabric. Now I have in the past chosen a fabric that is similar to one of the colors of the design but usually they are accentuated with various other colors or have darker shades of same color around them, so in my mind I didn't panic because I thought the 471 green would surround the purple and everything would be okay, then I pulled out the actually pattern and realized that the fin and mermaid's tail don't really help each other out at all they are stand alone elements of the design CRAP. So Thurs/Fri I plan on putting some 340 stitches in and maybe some 471 and see if they help the 341 stitches stick out and not get lost in the fabric but in the back of my mind I guess I am going to have to figure out a back up plan if that doesn't work.

So my question to you ladies....has this ever happened to you and what do you do? Do you swap out the fabric (not sure I have a suitable alternative to do this) or do you persevere and hope everything works out? Or do you backstitch the area regardless of whether the designer wants you to or not so that an element pops?

I have only come across this problem on small designs where the white/grey threads blended into my fabric and I just subbed out the thread but obviously that isn't going to work for this design. I don't want to put a lot of work into the fin and design as a whole just to change my mind about the fabric and have to rip everything out and start again.

If I remember to I will post a couple photos to show what it actually looks like in the coming days.

Thank for listening

 

No comments: